Crandall Farm History
Our farm was established in 1883. Brad and his brother, Mark, are the fifth generation to be farming at the same location. In 1957, Brad’s grandpa, Frank, was one of the first in Michigan to install a milking parlor. Back then, the Michigan State University Extension had heard of this new way of milking that was more efficient than milking in the stanchion. We still work with the MSU Extension today, to help us implement the newest ideas and take the best care of our animals.
By milking with the new parlor, they were able to grow from 30 cows to 60 cows. Today we milk 280 cows and have a rolling heard average of 32,000 pounds of milk per cow (which means each cow produces about 11 gallons of milk per day). Our milk quality is in the top 0.5 percent nationally. We are proud to produce such a wholesome and nutritious product.