Back-to-School time is the perfect opportunity to get Back-to-Breakfast!
It’s back-to-school time and important to give your kids a great start—not only a fresh start to the school year, but a healthy start every day of the year! A simple breakfast, whether at home or at school, helps boost brainpower and improve the overall nutrition intake for children of all ages. Research shows that kids who eat breakfast:
- Have improved concentration
- Score higher on tests
- Behave better
- Have improved attendance
So how can you and your family get back-to-school and back-to-breakfast?
- Take advantage of the school breakfast programs.
- Be a role model. Eat breakfast yourself and with your children when possible, and try to include at least 3 of the 5 food groups in your breakfast each morning.
- Keep easy-to-serve breakfast foods on hand.
We all know breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so the next time you’re at the grocery store, remember to pick up some of these great grab-and-go options:
- Ready-to-eat cereal (topped with seasonal fresh fruit)
- Yogurt and fruit smoothies
- Milk (flavored or unflavored)
Choco-Berry Swirl (yields 4 servings)
2 cups Low-Fat Vanilla Yogurt
3 ¼ cups of frozen whole strawberries (non-sweetened) – (if using frozen sliced strawberries then use 2 cups)
1/3 cup of Low-Fat or Fat-Free Milk (white or chocolate)
Combine all ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth.