Shrimp Alfredo with Carrot Noodles
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large carrots, washed, dried and spiralized (about 6 cups "noodles")
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled, deveined, tail off
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half and half
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Fresh parsley to garnish, optional
Bring a large pot of water with 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil over high heat.
When water boils, add carrot noodles and cook until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain when finished.
Meanwhile, heat oil and butter over medium heat and sauté shrimp, about 1 minute on each side or until pink and shaped more like an “O” than a “C.” When finished cooking, move to a plate, reserving oil in pan.
Add garlic to reserved oil and cook for 1 minute or until soft and fragrant. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Slowly and gradually whisk in half and half, whisking constantly, until thickened (3 to 4 minutes).
Reduce heat to low and add Parmesan cheese; whisk until melted. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Add carrot noodles and cooked shrimp and toss to coat everything in alfredo sauce. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
Note: Instead of using only carrot noodles, you can mix whole wheat fettuccine with the carrot noodles. Cook the fettuccine according to the package and add in the carrot noodles in the last 2 to 3 minutes of cooking.
Nutritional data is unavailable
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.